Dec 14, 2010

An ornament finish

I'm having a bad time with ornaments here lately.  I was about three-quarters done with my oldest nephew's Christmas ornament and just couldn't get it finished.  I didn't like anything about it.  I didn't like the fabric, or the stitching due to the fabric, or the design, or the finishing technique I was using.  So I chucked it in the trash and picked a new design to stitch.  

I found a train pattern for my youngest nephew that I liked better than the one I originally chose and it stitched up quickly.  I tried a new finishing technique (and I will not be using it again).  But in spite of that, I think it came out okay.  It will be handled by a two-and-a-half-year-old, and if anything, it is well glued.  ;-)

Next year, I am just going to stitch each boy an ornament of my choosing.  I'll pick Christmas designs that I like and stitch them.  I've learned that stitching something I don't like - even for someone I really like - is a real chore.  It isn't fun.  When your hobby becomes laborious, then it's time to make a change.

LoneStar

5 comments:

Mary said...

I totally agree. I cannot stitch something for someone else if I don't like it. When I do, I make that the person will as well as me :)

Mary

Mary said...

and no, I didn't proof before I sent! Don't hit me that floss!

Mary

Mary said...

it's been a very very long day...:(

Mary

Gloria said...

Cute ornament.

LOL @ Mary. Your posts cracked me up.

I just finished that dang guitar. I will never stitch another guitar!

Connie B said...

I also agree!! I also find that if I am under time constraints I don't like stitching either. It has to be right for you and have plenty of time to stitch it!!!