Jul 31, 2011

One fine day...

...I noticed that there seemed to be a leak under our kitchen sink.  DH immediately got to work fixing it and everything went down hill from there.

Back in May, DH installed a water filter under our sink.  Apparently, one of the connections loosened and began to leak.  Unfortunately, we did not notice it until last week.  As DH began spelunking under the sink, he discovered mold and water damage.  Uh oh.  

So he began tearing out the sink cabinet and then tearing up the kitchen floor to figure out just how much damage we had.  We had a lot.  So much so that we decided that we needed to replace the entire kitchen floor.  Whee.  

Our house is an old hunting cabin and is mostly make of wood.  The kitchen floor consisted of a pine subfloor made of 2" x 10"s, then two thin layers of plywood, then OSB sheets we put down with cheap white-and-maroon-checked linoleum glued to the OSB.  DH ripped it all up and began replacing the floor.

Of course, the water damage extended UNDER the bottom kitchen cabinets, so DH had to tear them out, too.  Here is the new subfloor right up to the kitchen cabinets, just before DH pulled them out.  

To be continued tomorrow...


Jul 10, 2011

WIPping along

DH was unable to work on any of our DIY projects this weekend.  Yesterday, he spent most of the day wrassling with our truck; the horn was broken and it could not pass state inspection with a broken horn.  The car repair shop wanted over $600.00 bucks to fix it.  DH decided to do it himself.  He did it for about thirty bucks, but it took him all day and he says he thinks he ran through his repertoire of swearwords at least five times.  ;-)

While working on the truck, DH noticed how hairy it was.  (If you have a hairy dog that sheds copiously and rides in your vehicles, you will have hairy vehicles.)  So he spent part of today cleaning out the car and the truck.  It's too bad that I can't card and spin all the dog hair into yarn; I might get rich!

I finished another page on my ever-boring "One Nation."  I'm REALLY looking forward to getting this one done.


Jul 8, 2011

I'm here! and someone else's finish

I've been under the weather for a bit here lately.  And DH took a couple of days off around the July 4th weekend which also helped in letting time get away from me.

I have no fun and interesting progress pictures of our current DIY project.  DH started in on it and discovered yet another side project that needed doing before he proceeded with the planned project.  It involved tearing out more of the inside wall in the utility room and then tearing out part of the floor to work on the plumbing.  The toilet that was in the utility room is now on the front porch.  (It will someday return to its former place).  

DH also had to move and disconnect my washer and dryer for a couple of days.  This struck terror in my heart.  Being without a washer and dryer is nerve wracking!  What if I needed to wash something?!

Emma did find the new hole in the floor interesting and "helped" DH with the plumbing.

A while back, my needleworking buddy, Georgia, went with me to the monthly I35 Stitchtogether.  Georgia is 99% a quilter, but has dabbled in cross stitch in the distant past.  On our way home from Austin, we stopped off at Ginger's Needlearts and Framing.  Georgia caught sight of a nice display of shop models of Lizzie Kate Christmas designs and decided to stitch one.  She recently finished it and I think it came out great!  (And you should see how neat the back is!)

I'm about four letters away from finishing another page of the ever-boring "One Nation."  I haven't stitched a lot lately as I've been reading.