Jan 26, 2012

Spaced out

Time got away from me this week; I can't believe it's already Thursday.

I finished my little ornament this weekend and started on the February square of "Crabby All Year."  Yeah, I know - it's not February yet, but I was NOT going to go back to stitching on that durn flag.  Here's the ornament.

DH and I wasted two hours of our lives recently.  We watched the newest Star Trek (2009) movie simply entitled "Star Trek."  I was talked into watching it by an acquaintance that assured me it was a "real" Star Trek (ST) movie.  Said acquaintance is obviously a Trekkie with no clue.  No self-respecting Trekker would consider this a "real" ST movie.

Yeah, the characters had the same names as the ones in Star Trek: The Original Series and Leonard Nimoy even reprised his role as a nearly elderly Spock, but it wasn't a "real" ST movie.  It was a space movie.  It had awesome special effects.  It was lighter and brighter.  It had a couple of suspenseful space battles.  It had some funny lines.  A lot of the actors spoke with great accents.  But it wasn't ST.  It was almost, but not quite, a parody of Star Trek: The Original Series.

I think a bunch of brainless Hollywood types were sitting around a Starbucks one day and one of them said, "Hey!  No one has produced a Star Trek movie lately.  We need to film one.  Those things make a lot of money."  Another one said, "Well, we killed off Kirk and Data, so now what?"  A third guy says, "We don't need those guys.  We'll get newer and younger actors and do something hinky by changing the time line.  Besides, the fans won't notice and won't care; they'll just be happy it's Star Trek."  And so the movie was made.

Uh huh.  This fan noticed and spent most of the movie pointing out discrepancies (until DH asked me to stop, please!).  Changing the time line just didn't do it for me.

I've been a Trekker since the early 70s.  (If you don't know the difference between a Trekkie and a Trekker, then you're obviously a Trekkie.)  I can still tell you the title of any Star Trek: The Original Series episode within 10 seconds of seeing a 20-30 clip of any part of any episode.  I have and have read nearly every ST book ever published.  I've seen every movie and watched most of the newer ST television shows.  And therein lies the rub.  In the ST universe, care has never been taken to insure consistency across the different mediums of television, books, and movies, and this has often been a real pain as a fan.

I'm also a fan of Star Wars (SW).  While this universe has been limited to movies and books, great care has been taken to insure consistency in both mediums.  (I can't speak for computer games in this genre as I don't play computer games.)  But as I have read some SW books that were based on SW computer games, I'd say that care is taken there, too.

So when a character in ST acts out of character or something happens that already did in a different medium with a different outcome, I just roll my eyes and go with it.  This never happens in SW thankfully.  In spite of it all, I have been and always will be a Trekker.

LoneStar 

No comments: