May 1, 2009

The Navasota River...

...overflowed its banks yesterday north and east of us. DH was very concerned as we are in the 100-year flood plain for it. So I spent the morning moving things close to the floor farther away from the floor. Whee.
We have been absolutely inundated in rain here. Both ends of our road flooded at one point, and the county had to repair one end (the end we don't have to drive on to get to our house). We are very tired of cloudy, rainy weather and wet and soggy terrain. And boy hidey are the mosquitoes loving it! I got bit about ten times yesterday walking up the driveway from my truck by those mosquitoes whom I could not swat unto death.
Tomorrow, DH and I will travel to Austin for the IH35 Stitchtogether. Whee-e-o! I'm looking forward to it.
And today, I will be setting up and using my NEW COMPUTER! It arrived Wednesday evening, but I didn't want to debox it and put it all together that late at night. Yesterday, I didn't do it because of the possibly imminent flooding. But today is the day!
After deboxing it, I have to install the modem. I could order a modem separately, but not pre-installed with this "level" of computer. Luckily, I am well-versed in modem installation. Then I have to download the full AVG protection software (which will take several hours with my dial-up) before I do anything else. But hopefully, I will have it up and running by this evening. Then I just have to get used to MS Vista.
I always get the newest OS about a year or so after it comes out. Then I install it and get used to it. I figure I'll be doing that for the rest of my computer-using life, so why not just do it and get it over with. Whining doesn't help and a Mac isn't an option for me. But I reserve the right to vent!

3 comments:

Rachel S-H said...

Praying for you in the flooding.

Cindy F. said...

Oh girl! I'd like to see some sun over our way too! We haven't had but a couple of days of rain though...just lots of threats!
Hope your house doesn't get any water!
I'm so excited for you getting the new Dell!! My husband gave me his Dell, less than a year old...and it's working so much better than the 2001 Dell that was dying a slow death! DH opted for a new Mac, which surprised me. Me..I'm good with this! Have fun getting her up and running and have fun @ your I35 get-together!

Brenda Lou said...

And we haven't had a drop in almost 2 weeks! I hope the rain lets up for y'all soon! Vista does take a little getting used to, but it's not horribly bad as I kept hearing before I bought my computer almost 2 years ago. Hope you have fun w/your new top :)