Feb 26, 2009

Getting older is not for wimps

DH and I played softball on Monday night. We had late games at 8:30 and 9:30 p.m. While the weather during the day was nice, after the sun went down we had "blue norther" winds blow in and it was dang cold.
I am very careful to stretch out thoroughly before athletic activity. In spite of this - probably because of the cold - I ended up pulling both my quads muscles on my first dash to first base after a really nice hit. (BTW - I've discovered that the newer bats the youngsters bring are a lot better than my old one as I can hit much farther with them!) I had to sit out the rest of the first and all of the second game as I could hardly walk much less run. And kneeling down to catch behind home plate was completely out of the question at that point. ACK!
Since then, I've been gimping around the house grousing and grumping and grumbling and mumbering under my breath. I've been stretching and moving and trying to get the ol' quads back into shape before the next game. It's been slow going. (No, I don't need to go to the doctor. I was a physical therapist back in my checkered past and know how to properly treat a pulled quad.) I'm very aggravated that I have a pair of injured quads. I'm sure that if I was younger it wouldn't have happened. Although to be fair, two of the youngsters also pulled muscles during the games.
I like the wisdom derived from having more life experience that age brings, but I sure miss my younger body sometimes. In my mind, I still think I'm twenty-something. Oh well.
To console myself, I bought a bit of stash yesterday off the internet. I ordered some Davosa fabric to stitch a Prairie Schooler Santa on. I'll use the Santa as a gift at DH's Christmas party present swap in December. The shop I bought the fabric from had copies of the 2004 JCS Christmas Ornament magazine so I ordered one, as I don't have that issue.
And I haven't stitched much as I've had several errands in town and also found a new book to read. But hopefully I can stitch this evening. Hopefully.
I'll leave you with a picture of Emma investigating the UBSU right before I started filling it full of stuff. She's such a nosy jert.

No comments: