Sep 28, 2010

Monkey business

The Aggies and the Raiders had bye weeks, and the Cowboys finally put it mostly together and won a game.  So it was a good weekend for football.

I got "Nickademus" about 99% finished on Sunday.  I decided to use Mill Hill beads for the French-knots on the light-colored stars because I think they would look neater than knots and because I hate doing French-knots.  I had the right color in regular seed beads, but needed petite sized which I didn't have on hand and had to order from 1-2-3 Stitch!So "Nickademus" is hot off the hoop awaiting beads and ornification.  And no, I will not be adding the JABC mitten buttons as I like the monkey without them.

Since my "Tribal Seahorse" fabric hadn't yet arrived in the mail and I was itching to stitch, I started "Christmas Robin," another ornament from the JCS 2010 Ornament issue.  It's by Designs by Cathy Jean of The Victoria Sampler and is on page 14 of the magazine.

A small gripe regarding "DMC equivalents" in said magazine.  "Christmas Robin" was designed using a lot of GAST, Weeks, Kreinik and SJ Designs beads (which I've never even heard of), very few of which I had in my stash.  So I decided to go with good ol' DMC as I have all of the colors and a color card with real floss.  I pulled all the recommended DMC floss colors, then I did a floss toss on the fabric.  ACK!  I think the designer must have just used a conversion chart for all those flosses without actually looking at the colors.  No big deal, I fixed it.  I got burned by iffy conversions several years ago and always double-check, but oh my land!  What weird conversion colors! 

My "Tribal Seahorse" fabric came in yesterday's mail, but I will finish the robin ornament before starting on it again.  Yeah, I'm one of those kind of stitchers.  


No comments: