Sep 19, 2008

Yep, I'm a Trekker

Geesh! I can't believe I've only made one other post this week. I've got to get some semblance of a routine going.
I didn't make it back out to the porch to stitch after my wonderful Monday afternoon of stitching. Oh well. Maybe this weekend. I usually average around 15-20 finishes a year. This year ain't lookin' too good. Oh well. My current WIP will get finished eventually. On a good note, things are slowly progressing around the house.
Have you ever been online and found yourself chasing rabbits? All of a sudden, you're somewhere new and fun, and you don't remember how you got there or what you were searching for in the first place? Yep, BTDT. One day this week I found myself online delightedly exploring The Klingon Language Institute. Yep, I'm a Trekker.
I love every genre, I have seen most of the episodes and movies, I have just about every Star Trek book ever printed, and my computer screen saver is a picture of Worf. I didn't watch the original series when it first aired. Although I do remember watching part of the episode "The Apple" with my dad until my mom made him turn it off as she thought it might give me nightmares like "The Twilight Zone" did. Incidentally, the TZ episode that gave me the worst nightmares? You guessed it! The one with William Shatner, "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet!"
Anyway, I have always loved Klingons; they are my favorite aliens. If our white dog - who has one brown patch over one eye - had been male, she would have been named Martok. But I digress once again...
I downloaded the Klingon font from KLI. As the website also has lots of Klingon phrases, I picked my favorite, typed it with the Klingon font, and then used PatternMaker to chart it.
I plan to stitch it and hang it over my computer desk. In English, it is spelled "nuqneH" and means "hello." Well, in Klingon, it really means, "What do you want?!" which is how Klingons say hello to one another. And don't ask me how to pronounce it. Whenever I try to say it, I cough. Violently.

1 comment:

Daffycat said...

I remember being about 10 and watching Star Trek every evening. It was on about the same time as my dad would get home from work. Dad would come in and tease me about watching "Ol' Captain Quirk!" But he was just teasing me, he liked Star Trek too.