Aug 27, 2009

August is winding down

Man! I can't believe August is nearly gone. Although I must say that I am looking forward to the moderation in temperatures that usually comes after Labor Day.
Tuesday, when I did my weekly grocery and Wal-Mart run, I left one of my bags of groceries at the store. I was bagging my own groceries and I guess I didn't get one bag back into the basket. I didn't realize it until I got home. Argh! It had most of the stuff I needed to make dinner that night, so I had to execute Plan B dinner plans.
Our town has experienced its yearly influx of young, bright-eyed, and bushy-tailed college students. One thing about Texas A&M University is that they try to instill politeness in the students. And in fact, most of the students are very polite. That may be due to ingrained southern manners, too.
While at Wal-Mart, I was trying to get down the cleaning supplies aisle but couldn't due to a huge gaggle of Aggie Corp of Cadets members armed with shopping carts and lists. I waited for a moment until one of the young men noticed that I was waiting. He immediately sprang into action. "Guys! We're blocking the aisle! Move it! Sorry, ma'am; we apologize!" I thanked them and went down the aisle. After organizing themselves, their lists, and their carts, they followed me. I had to get several top shelf items and didn't have to strain for any of them. The young men gladly reached them down for me, usually without me asking. I was also consulted as to whether Comet or Soft Scrub worked better for cleaning bathtubs. ☺
It was funny to listen to them shop. "It says here that we need a broom." "Yeah, but it also says that we need a green one because we're freshmen. Blue is for sophomores so put that back." "How do you clean a toilet anyway?" "That's what this brush is for." "Oh good, I was worried I'd have to stick my hand down in there."
I've been wanting to stitch all week, but life has prevented me from doing so. At least I'll be able to stitch this Saturday at the IH35 Stitchtogether.
Emma thinks it's too hot to sleep upright. So she's going for the full-belly blow from the air conditioner. Graceful and ladylike she is not.

4 comments:

Rachel S-H said...

That is really neat that they teach them to be polite.


It's been so hot, being ladylike is difficult.

Mary said...

That Emma...she's a camera hound!

Lynn D said...

I'm in love with Emma... and I'm totally a cat person!

Cindy F. said...

Ahhhhh....just too precious!!