Jan 2, 2009

A book review

Those that know me well know that I love to read Star Wars books.
I saw "Star Wars - Episode IV: A New Hope" on the day it came out in Dallas (the first time, not the re-release) while in high school and was hooked. Han Solo to this day remains my favorite rogue. I remember coming out of the movie in a complete daze - the special effects, the story line, the aliens - it all blew me away and intrigued me at the same time. George Lucas is a genius!
I have almost every Star Wars (SW) book in print. One of the reasons I like the SW books is that they are meticulous as to timeline and character sameness (with very few exceptions). One book will rarely contradict another. Everything flows together well. In fact, if you read the author's notes (yeah, I'm weird, I do this), you'll find out that they often read or research previous SW novels to get all the facts straight. This becomes more difficult when you have a lot of writers for the same genre. But SW has done a great job with this.
I recently finished "Star Wars Death Star," a novel set just slightly before and during "Star Wars - Episode IV: A New Hope." It answered the question we all have, "How can thinking, civilized, sentient beings blow up an entire planet of other thinking, civilized, sentient beings?" And it gives you a different look at the galaxy's favorite bad boy, Darth Vader. It was a tight, well-written book that drew me in and kept me interested. The characters (most of them new) were believable and developed with the storyline. I give it five stars out of five.
On a stitching note, I did get to stitch today, but no pictures. It's cloudy, dark, glummy, and grismal out; not a good day for taking pictures. I haven't finish-finished my bellpull either as my sinuses are not happy at all. This usually affects my ability to think well, so I don't want to risk doing something stupid to the bellpull that I spent all that time stitching.
Tomorrow, I go to Austin for the IH35 Stitchtogether. Whee-e-o!!!!

No comments: