Jan 14, 2009

Stitchbooking and "only in Texas"

I recently read about stitchbooking on Monique's blog. Instead of making fobs, cubes, ornaments, stand-ups, or framing small projects, you mount them in a scrapbook.
As I have several small projects that fit that category, I decided to try it. I am not a scrapbooker as it has never really interested me. But I figured I could do some really simple pages and get the job done.
I went to lunch last week with Shannon, a local stitching buddy. She IS into scrapbooking, so we went to Hobby Lobby and she corrupted me. I bought fancy printed pages, a package of page protectors, and some stickers.
Later in the week, I went by Hobby Lobby and Michael's to further peruse the scrapbooking aisles. I was amazed at all the cool gadgets and gizmos! I was appalled at how much money one could sink into all the available stuff for this hobby! I vowed to only get the barest of bare necessities and to do it only when they are on sale. Cross stitching is a cheap hobby compared to scrapbooking.
So here is my first attempt. I want to keep things very simple. I used a page I picked up on a whim along with a finish I'm not at all attached to as I wanted to "practice" on something I didn't care about if I messed up. And I'm glad I did. I definitely learned a lot. I may gussy this up a bit with some stickers later (when I find them on sale), but for now, it is what it is. Yeah, the paper doesn't really do much for the stitched piece, and you can't read the label in this picture. Oh well, I'll get better at it.
And now for a news article my hunter DH sent me. "Sally Edwards is a highly esteemed third grade teacher at Jacksboro Elementary. In an effort to prepare her students for the all-important TAKS test, she compiled an exam consisting of 20 questions, which she administered to her class. The exam purposely covered a broad array of topics. For one question, which asked the students to list the four seasons, sixty-seven percent of the students gave the following answer: dove season, deer season, quail season, and turkey season." Ya gotta love those rural kids in Texas!

2 comments:

Rachel S-H said...

That Shannon, she is a corrupter! The stitchbooking looks great. That would be fun for those small kits that come in british magazines.

Unknown said...

Gosh Lisa, I think your page looks good!

I'm not into scrapbooking either, although, my sister is totally into it. It just doesn't interest me (guess I should say...at this point of my life...lol).

I loved the responses regarding the seasons. That is so funny and totally Texas.

Mary