Apr 4, 2008

My Stitching Statistics

As an experienced stitcher, I often have other stitchers ask me questions regarding my stitching habits and preferences. Some of the answers to these questions are hotly debated amongst us. Some folks even get snobby about their preferences. And there's no need for that. Hey, we all thread our needle the same way. Wait. We don't. (And yes, the pattern on the right is in my to-do pile.)

My Stitching Statistics

1) How do you hold your fabric? I use a five-inch wooden hoop in hand. Yes, I've tried scroll rods, Q-snaps, and a stitching stand. I don't like them.
2) Floss licker? No.
3) How do you thread your needle? I fold the floss in half over the needle and then poke the fold through the needle's eye.
4) What needle do you like best? I prefer Mardina's My Favorite Needle, but they stopped making them (again). My second favorite is The Perfect Needle.
5) Are you a needle loser? No. My needles cost me three to five bucks each. As a tightwad, I am extremely careful about keeping up with them.
6) What fabric do you prefer to stitch on? I'll stitch on anything. I prefer evenweaves and linen, but will use Aida if it is warranted. The only fabric I don't care for at all is Jobelan.
7) Bobbins or floss bags? Hobby Lobby-brand bobbins for DMC. EZ-Bobs for my specialty floss. Floss bags for my Rainbow Gallery threads.
8) Are you a scissors collector? No. I am constantly dropping my scissors and either chipping the point off or springing them so they don't cut on the point. Expensive scissors would be a waste.
9) Do you do your own framing, and if so, do you lace or pin? Yes. After researching the topic to my satisfaction, I prefer to pin.
10) Are you a floss floozy? Probably not. I'll try any type of floss. I will use it loyally if it is colorfast. I have a full set of DMC. I buy specialty floss as needed for a pattern. I am not driven to own full sets of everything.
11) Silk? Yes. If it is colorfast.
12) Railroader? Yes. I railroad both legs of my stitches on everything I stitch. It does slow me down a bit, but I'm a slow stitcher to begin with.
13) Are you a pattern or designer snob? No. I do have a few designers that I seem to consistently like, but I'll stitch anything by any designer that catches my rather eccentric eye.
14) Do you get antsy when you give someone a stitched gift? No. The joy for me is in the creation of the gift. What they do with it after they receive it is their choice, and I am at peace with that.
15) Have you reached S.A.B.L.E.? I don't think so. My tightwad instincts probably override any S.A.B.L.E. instincts.
16) Do you wash your projects? Yes. Everything and always. Fifteen-minute cold-water soak with mild soap (never Woolite), roll up in a towel, then iron dry stitched side down on a fluffy white towel.

No comments: